- Election of 1800 was former President Adams vs. Jefferson. Lots of mudslinging. Rumors about Jefferson that he had illegit children (which was true) and stuff.
- Jefferson won. The election went to the House (Jefferson vs. Burr). It is referred to as the "Revolution of 1800" because it returned people to the mindset they had during the American Revolution.
- Jefferson's mission was to restore republican government, to check the growth of government power, and to halt the decay of virtue.
- John Adams was the last Federalist president....the Federalist party would completely die out later.
- This was the first switch in power, and it really showed that Americans could take pride in their experiment in democracy.
Election of 1800