- Lincoln's Inaugural address stressed that there would be no conflict unless the South provoked it. He explained it would be impossible for the North and South to separate. There are no geographical borders separating them, posed questions like 'what portion of national debt and federal territory would the South get?' 'enforcement of Fugitive Slave Law,' and it would make it easy for European imperialism.
- South started conflict at Fort Sumter.
- Lincoln declared that the war was not against slavery to keep the loyalty of the crucial border states: Missouri, KENTUCKY, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia. Indians in Oklahoma sided with Confederacy. Some Indians sided w/ Union (only to be repaid by being forced onto reservations).
- South advantages: they didn't have to win the fight, just come to a standstill. Talented military officers (Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson). Southerners were bred to fight. They had sufficient weaponry from seizing fed weapons. Weaknesses: BAD ECONOMY. Shortages of shoes, uniforms, food, blankets.
- North advantages: Strong economy, controlled sea (choked off South's supplies), had more manpower.
- South wanted foreign intervention (they thought Britain would help them because they relied on the South for cotton), but Britain had surplus cotton from the year before, and decided not to do anything. The only way they helped the South were the powerful British-made vessels like the Alabama and Merrimack (which would go against Union Monitor).
- Lincoln had to tear some holes in the Constitution (restriction on wartime liberties): Lincoln increased size of federal army (something only Congress can do), directed Secretary of Treasury to give $2 million to 3 individuals for military purposes, and suspended writ of habeus corpus (anti-Unionists could be arrested without appearing before a judge and knowing charges against them [9th amendment]). Did this with copperhead peace Democrat Clement Vallandigham. Lincoln also supervised voting on border states and suspended certain newspapers for "obstructing the war."
War! (Ch. 21):
- Battles, battles.
- McClellan Union general. Anaconda plan: 1) Suffocate South by blockading coasts, 2) free slaves and ruin economy, 3) seize control of Mississippi and cut South in half, 4) send troops through Georgia and Carolinas, 5) capture Richmond, VA and 6) make South submit.
- Bloody battle of Antietam - it was a draw, but it gave Lincoln an opportunity to launch the Emancipation Proclamation (freed slaves in Confederacy, but Border States were not affected)
- Union General Meade BTHO Pickett's Confederate army at the Battle of Gettysburg.
- Ulysses S. Grant (what a coolio!), Sherman's march through Georgia, etc, etc.
- Republicans had split into factions: radicals resented presidential power and pushed for emancipation, others sided with Lincoln. Northern Democrats split into war democrats (supported Lincoln) and peace democrats (extremes were called copperheads) (against war, draft, Lincoln, and emancipation)
- Election of 1864, Republicans joined with war Democrats to form Union party. Peace democrats and copperheads nominated General McClellan. Lincoln won.
- Lee surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse. UNION WON!
- Lincoln assassinated :(
Thank you i needed this for my history class
Post a Comment